Background and aims: The pace of change in the delivery of health care along with professional responsibilities of clinical staff to provide high quality services, wants to the necessity of incorporating of research evidence in decision-making. Implementation of EBP has positive implications for clinical staff, patients, and organizations. Implementation of EBP in clinical settings is a long-term process and requires multiple strategies such as individual and organizational factors as well as factors related to the patients. This study was conducted to evaluate strategies of integration of EBP in clinical practice.
Methods: This review study was performed on the articles related to facilitators and barriers of implementation of EBP.
Results: The literature review indicated that multiple strategies can be used to integrate EBP in clinical settings, including:
– Creation of a learning environment and designing and delivering training programs such as EBP journal clubs.
– Enjoying from EBP experts and faculty members for advice on implementation of EBP.
– Research consulting and creation of further interaction between clinicians and research centers.
– The discussion meetings of inter-professional and inter-wards.
– Promotion of the culture of evidence-based decision making in the clinical arena.
– The increasing use of clinical guidelines, development of health care standards.
– Providing conditions and accessing resources to research results (time, resources of human, financial and equipment).
– Providing resources and free access to EBP database and centers and knowledge management units.
– Encourage and support employees interested in EBP.
– Identify barriers of EBP implementation and strategies to overcome these barriers.
– Monitoring and evaluation of EBP in the organization and providing appropriate solutions.
Conclusion: Transformational managers and policy makers can determine a strategic planning according to the barriers and facilitators of EBP, and then can provide the culture and the necessary infrastructure to help clinical staff to develop EBP competencies and a professional environment which resulted in personal and professional growth of staff and improvement of quality of care.
Statistics from Altmetric.com
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.